Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Stephan Pastis Makes a New Friend

The comic strip "Pearls Before Swine" is the best comic strip being written right now. "Peanuts" and "Calvin and Hobbes" were my favorites growing up, but Watterson retired and Schulz died. "Fox Trot" was great, but that's only a Sunday strip now. Now the only strip that's a "must read" everyday is "Pearls Before Swine".

The strip's creator, Stephan Pastis writes a blog. I found one of the latest entries particularly funny. I've copied it below. Check it out.
*************************************************

On Sunday I went to a place that serves Brazilian food.

The guy behind the counter said, “What can I get you, my friend?”

I asked what he recommended.

He said, “We have many good things, my friend.”

I asked what most people ordered.

He said, “The chicken and rice, my friend.”

I stared at him, wondering how we had grown so close so fast.

“I’ll take the chicken and rice,” I said.

He entered it in the register.

“That will be eight dollars, my friend.”

I started to take my wallet from my pocket but stopped.

“Eight dollars?” I asked.

“Yes,” he said, “Is that a problem?”

“Yes,” I said, staring him in the eye. “I thought we were friends.”

He didn’t smile. He didn’t react.

As I paid him, I felt compelled to add one more thing.

“You’ve put a great strain on our relationship.”

No comments: