Friday, December 24, 2010

Random Christmas Eve Thoughts 2010

I hate winter. I hate the cold and all that comes with it. However, Christmas Eve and Christmas are about the only days anymore that I actually like when it snows. It is often written of how snow seems to purify everything and coming on the day that celebrates the birth of Jesus it seems appropriate that there is snow.

In the U.S. we celebrate Christmas in reverse. Our culture and the society in which we live suggests that Christmas begins weeks (our months) before Christmas Day and then after Christmas Day is over, Christmas is over. The thing is, Christmas Day is supposed to be the beginning of the celebration. You know that song "The 12 Days of Christmas"? The 12 Days of Christmas actually don't begin until the day after Christmas and go until January 6th. I know it's counterculture, but I try to celebrate that way. I find the idea of Christmas as the beginning of a celebration so much more appealing than the way we do it in our post-modern society.

The year isn't over, yet, so I'm trying to refrain from reflecting too much upon a year that still has over a week left in it (the world can quite literally change in a week). However, as I prepare for my annual reflections, I can say that this past year has been a very difficult one, yet laced with some incredible opportunities. As Christmas draws near, I look ahead and am filled once again with hope.

Hope is a wonderful thing. It's one of the most wonderful things in all of life. There's a reason Dante said that above the entrance of Hell it says "Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here."

Merry Christmas, everyone! And thank you, Jesus for being born.

No comments: