Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Real New York Blizzard Blues

I'm sick of hearing New Yorkers whine about the snow sitting in front of their driveways right now. I hate winter. However, I live in the part of the Midwest where we get our share of winter weather. I complain about the winter weather, but I do what I can before and when the stuff comes: putting salt on the sidewalk and driveways, shoveling snow, covering the windshield or scraping ice if I forget the cover, taking extra time to travel places, etc. It's a pain, but it's a part of what comes with winter. If you live in New York you would be used to lots of snow in winter. From what I've been told, the people there have access to snow shovels and salt just like we do. You can complain about the weather, but you shouldn't expect the government to come around and clean the snow out of your driveway or off your walk.

The current New Yorkers are a bunch of wusses. *From the 18th Century until the early part of the 20th Century before automobiles were standard, the streets of New York City were crowded with more than 100,000 horses at any given time. Those horses produced about 2.5 million pounds of manure each day. During the long, icy winters the city commonly built up a mixture of snow and dung that raised the street level up to five feet. That's one of the major reasons the iconic brownstones feature lifted, second-story stoops. Five feet of frozen ice and poo. That would be something to whine about.

*This info is taken from the book Everybody Poops 410 Pounds a Year by D. Flanagan and David Dudley.

No comments: