Saturday, January 22, 2011

Best Video Game of 2010

Red Dead Redemption

I'm really not a very big gamer. Most gamers I know play some sort of game almost every night and at least every day during the weekends. They really get into the multi-player levels and stay up into the wee hours of the morning playing Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 2, or the latest Halo installment with people from all over the country. I only play once every few weeks. I've played the online multi-player stuff a few times, but after a few times I get bored with it. Personally, what I like most about modern video games are the stories (aka campaign modes). Graphics are important, but if a game with just average graphics has an amazing story then I'll probably really enjoy it. It's even better if the game has great graphics and a great story.

For me, Red Dead Redemption was the best video game I've played since Kingdom Hearts (back in 2002). I got caught up in the story of John Marston the same way I've gotten caught up in reading the Chronicles of Narnia or The Lord of the Rings or watching the original Star Wars for the first time. I was swept away. I became emotionally invested and emotionally tied to the story. The story is a great one and as the title says, it's all about redemption (a theme I feel strongly about). If I had access to the right amount of cash, I'd buy the rights from Rockstar and begin writing the screenplay. I'd like to see this game made into a film someday. I'd like to do it, but if I'm not able to I hope that whoever does will do the story justice.

No comments: