Wednesday, June 06, 2012

A Passing and a Birthday

Besides the historical significance of this date (June 6), I'm having bitter-sweet feelings about the day. I received a phone call this morning that my Great Aunt Lora passed away. She was 94. I visited her just a week ago and she looked better than she's looked in a long time. However, I saw her on Saturday with my Grandma and she looked worse than she ever has. My Grandma and I picked her up and took her to a family reunion on Sunday. She didn't look better. We received a telephone call last night saying she was in the hospital. I was planning on visiting her today. This morning we received another call saying she had pneumonia and wasn't doing well. I was planning on stopping by during lunch or after work, but about thirty minutes later when I talked to my cousin she informed me she had just died. Lora would have been 95 in August.

In May 2008, she had a stroke and I was at the hospital and was there when the doctors said at most she would have 2 weeks to live. That was over 4 years ago. In that time, she lived with my Grandma for a couple of years and I got to know her much better than I ever did. I know she's in a much better place now and is going for that ride in the sky that another one of my aunts always kidded her about, but I will still miss her.

On a different note, today is my sister's birthday. She can be a major pain sometimes, but I do love her. Happy birthday, sis.

No comments: