Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Do You Belong to the Government?


Last night (Sept. 4, 2012) as part of the Democratic National Convention, this snippet of a video was part of the evening festivities. In the greater context of the entire video, the statement "The government is the only thing we all belong to," is clarified somewhat and I believe I understand why this statement was included. Yet, this is a statement that shouldn't be glossed over. It speaks to the core of the major differences between progressives and conservatives in the country; it illustrates a contrasting world view, one that I do not share. Though much of the political climate of the past few years has tried to force us to belong to the government, I do not belong to the government. I am not a slave to the behemoth of bureaucracy that has become the government. I am a free man with God-given individual rights, including but not limited to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

I understand why some might ignore or try to gloss over this video. Yet, though I understand, I cannot forget it. A few weeks ago a Congressman from Missouri was pilloried (and rightly so) for making a major verbal faux pas. This video wasn't a verbal mistake made by one man. It was made by members of the Democratic National Convention (the DNC has to ok everything that happens on the main stage, make no mistake about that) for a national audience. It was carefully filmed and edited. Every syllable and image was given the utmost scrutiny and after all of that, this statement still remained. Why is that? Do you belong to the government? What is your number? As for me, I am not a number, I am a free man.

No comments: