Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The New MAN OF STEEL Trailer and a Few Thoughts About Superman


Superman has always been my favorite Superhero. I was never much into comics growing up, but when I did read comics, I drifted more towards DC instead of Marvel. When I was younger, DC was a much cleaner universe than it is now. Good guys occasionally did bad things and bad guys occasionally did good things, but you always knew who were the good guys and who were the bad guys. To me, Superman represented everything that was supposed to be good about the world at large. My friends hated that. The ones that were really into comics hated the DC world and were all about Marvel (Wolverine, The Punisher, etc.). The few who did like DC prefered Batman over Superman. Despite the ridicule I received ("Superman just isn't cool, Tom!"), he was my favorite.

Movie-wise, other than the first Star Wars film that I caught in a re-release, SUPERMAN with Christopher Reeves was one of the first movies I remember seeing in a movie theatre. The effects look a little dated now, but I still enjoy watching that original Superman movie.

Since that time, I've learned a lot about the world. There's other characters in the DC world that I really like (Hal Jordan's Green Lantern, for instance) and I can appreciate certain aspects of the Marvel world. However, Superman is still my guy. In terms of pop culture, the Marvel universe is cooler than the DC one and in the DC world, Batman is still more popular than Superman. But go back and watch that trailer again. I know it's marketing and it's just a three minute clip, but just watching that trailer fills me with hope. That's kind of what Superman is all about. He represents the best in humanity that we all hope and long for. Now, I just hope the movie is really as good as the trailers.

No comments: